Monday, October 17, 2011

Homemade Shampoo -Day 1

I recently discovered that there are questionable ingredients in shampoo, and that got me thinking, and reading my shampoo bottles. Why are there about 30 ingredients in shampoo, and why can't I pronounce many of them?

Commercial shampoos are so good at cleaning our scalps of it's natural oil our bodies start to overproduce to make up for washed away oil. That is why we get greasy hair after going 2 days without washing. Our bodies are trying to do us a favour and make up for lost natural oils. When starting to use a natural homemade shampoo, you hair has to go through a detox, so it can find it's balance of oils again. This detox can take anywhere from 2weeks to 2months, so stick with it for about 2 months and see if you notice a difference.

So here is my recipe.

1/4 cup of water
1/4 cup of Castille soap (I got the unscented Baby kind)
1/2 tsp of a light oil (sunflower oil, jojoba oil, etc) I used sunflower oil, but think I will get some jojoba
5 drops of tea tree oil (kills bacteria, and if you work with small kids and lice is a problem this will kill them)
15drops of peppermint (i just love the smell of peppermint)

Mix it all together in a squirt bottle and use like regular shampoo. I am still using a commercial conditioner, but only because I haven't gone to the store to buy some ingredients for a homemade conditioner.


_______________________
Day 1-

So today was my first day using this, and my hair feels different. When I was rinsing it out, my hair felt "waxy". Not like it is coated in wax but it wasn't silky, and slippery when wet like it is with a regular shampoo. Which could be because other shampoos have ingredients that coat your hair to make it shinier.

My hair is also frizzy, for the first time in my life, I have frizzy hair but, it is also the first time my hair has had volume. I have thick, fine and limp, so this is kind of a nice change. My hair is dry now, and it feels ok, and it looks ok (apart from being slightly frizzy)I will keep you all up to date on how my hair is doing, and when I add the homemade conditioner.


Much Love

Marissa

No comments:

Post a Comment