Thursday, November 12, 2009

Attitudes Towards Yourself When Pregnant!

So this has been on my mind for the past few days. I have quite a few friends on my Facebook page who are pregnant and I love them all dearly but I am so upsetted by how they speak about themselves and their pregnancies. Pregnancy, is the time when a woman should feel the most beautiful and radiant, not to say there aren't discomforts but compared to the knowledge that you are growing your child in your womb they don't seem too much to endure. I think what we need to do is change the way we speak about pregnancy and birth, and change the language surrounding it.

When someone has been trying to get pregnant for months, and finally sees that little plus sign and their heart just fills with joy, excitment and love, the next thing we here from them is "I feel awful, I can't wait for this to be over." Yes, I have been there and it can be pretty uncomfortable but you are pregnant and that is what you wanted, why not do your best to enjoy and remember ever aspect, even if you are hanging over the edge of the toilet bowl?

Now, usually the second trimester we don't hear too many complaints. Many womyn in our society though have a huge issue with gaining weight and this is when the scale starts to go up. Some of these women start with the, what seems to be forever, complaining about how fat they are. Well you aren't fat, not even a little bit, you are carrying your child (or children) and a baby bump is one of the most beautiful things on this Earth.

Ok, so now we are at the third trimester, the biggest complaint here is. "I am done. I don't want to be pregnant and fat." And caregivers don't alleviate this at all, by counting down to your "due date" or as I call it, your "Estimated Day of Birthing". No one can predict when your baby is going to come, and forcing a labour isn't a good idea, sometimes it is necessary but that is a truly rarely need.

We have the most common complaints during pregnancy, and we hear them endlessly. Very rarely do we hear a woman speaking highly and positively to and about herself during pregnancy and that is worrisome to me. While your baby is in your body she/he can feel every emotion you are feeling and can hear everything you are saying. You should really focus on being positive and loving. It can be hard, when you have gained 30lbs and have had to work, but it even makes you feel better to acknowledge all the positive aspects of your life. Instead of focusing on your discomforts, take a moment to yourself and remember you are carrying a life. A beautiful, budding, capable of loving, little life, who is very excited to come and meet you.

I think what I am trying to say is, you are pregnant and yes, it can be uncomfortable at times, believe me I know. But what womyn and young girls need to hear is all the positive aspects of being pregnant and you, yourself needs to hear those things aswell. Even if it doens't make you feel better physically, it can greatly increase how you will later regard your pregnancy experience and I know you little life, fluttering about inside your body will definately benefit from the love it feels when you speak positively about having him/her within you.

Much Love, and remember being pregnant is a sacred time, treasure every moment.

Marissa

2 comments:

  1. At least they try to avoid calling it your EDC now, or estimated date of confinement! ( sounds like jail to me!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is try. Now it just Due Date. ANd they put so much emphasis on it, and create unnecessary stress on the mother to birth before that day or else she will be induced, because he baby will die otherwise.

    ReplyDelete