Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My Journey Through Pregnancy: Part 1

September 1st, 2007, I was working at Community Natural Foods and Strep throat was going around, since I was feeling a little sick and had a sore throat I called in and they asked me to get tested to see if I had it too. So off to the walk-in clinic I went. I was there for several hours, and I hadn't eaten yet that day and I was hungry. Turns out, the doctor had to go home because she was ill and I had to wait for the next doctor to come in. So 3 hours later, I get in to see her and I tell her my throat hurts and Strep is going around, then I told that I needed a pregnancy test because Tylor and I had been trying and I wasn't comfortable taking antibiotics while pregnant. Then after I pee in the cup, she comes in and starts asking me about my menstrual cycles. I was so confused, "Why do you need to know that?" I asked. She then nonchalantly said "Because you are pregnant". I was totally taken off guard, although this is what I wanted, I didn't believe her at all. I think I said "Really?" with a confused expression plastered on my face. I remember walking out of the clinic, with my From Here Through Maternity book clutched in my arms, and as soon as I looked up at the sky, there was lightning, a crack of thunder and it started to rain. It was just perfect.

I then called Tylor to tell him. I simply said "Congratulations, Daddy!" and he raced to come and pick me up and gave me the biggest hug. We promptly went over to my parents house and told them. She has a picture of when we found out. You should see the look on Tylor's face, proudest man alive. That night, I went online and emailed every midwife in Calgary. I was quickly answered and told to read the biographies of the midwives and see who I would like to meet with. We read them together and made our decision on who we thought would be the best fit for us. We chose Moonstone Midwives, Jane Bake and Nadine Mitchell, later Sivan Bar Sever, who practice with Birthpartnership Midwives in Calgary.

Then it came time to tell Tylor's parents. That was a little scary, I was 20, he was 25 and they didn't know we had been trying for the past 9 months to get pregnant. So we ventured out to Brooks for a visit, by this time I was 6 weeks and I was very nervous about this meeting. We went out there primarily so Tylor could re-shingle his parents roof. It was Saturday (don't ask the date, I can't remember) and I asked Tylor when he planned on telling his parents. Well, he came in for lunch, sat down at the table, looked at his parents and said "So, How do you feel about being Grandparents?". Aparently the look on my face was classic, as if I was just finding out I was pregnant. Well, I believe his Mother said "Oh, No!", but Tylor explained that this wasn't a mistake and we were planning this and were very happy. His Father didn't say anything really, not to me anyway, not sure if he spoke with Tylor.

That weekend was interesting. After that, Tylor had to go back out onto the roof and leave me inside with his parents. Soon after that came the horror stories from my dear Mother-in-law, and she showed me her stretch marks, I am sure as a tactic to scare me. There was also her C-section stories that came after we told her we were planning to birth with midwives either at home or in the birth center. It was short lived as I told her, I am ok with stretch marks and I know birth is normal and natural. She also bugged me about what I was eating, I am sure out of concern because I was craving bean sprouts, fried in soy sauce (I have been told that is a very Asian craving, but it was so good).

My first trimester went by without much to talk about. We met the midwives for our first appointment at around 6 weeks and were given all their information so I could call them at any time. I had told my mother before pregnancy that I wouldn't have morning sickness, because not all women do. She gave me that look like "We will see!" look. Well, I am way to stubborn to follow the status quo, even in pregnancy, so I had no morning sickness. I was a little nauseated at times but it was because I needed to get in the habit of eating breakfast, something I didn't usually do. Other than that, nothing truly remarkable to speak of, other than the fact that I was carrying a little life.

2 comments:

  1. I love your story of how you found out you were pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. i have to write the rest of it. It gets more fun.

    ReplyDelete