Sunday, November 15, 2009

My Dream of Being a Midwife

Ever since I was 11 years old (or so) I have been completely enthralled with pregnancy and birth. It was something no one really talked about around kids, so I made sure I asked the women in my family about their experiences with birth, and I learned a lot and was so amazed by how our bodies could do this. This is where my journey began but it didn't pick up speed to know that being a midwife was for me until I was about 16 or 17. My dear friend Greg asked me what I wanted to do after high school, I had no idea. He then changed the question, "what interests you the most?". It took me a few days to really ponder this question, when I called him and left a very enthusiastic message with my answer of Pregnancy and Birth and I was going to be a Midwife.

I had chosen my path and made sure I got the required courses to attend a University to take the course, but knew I wouldn't be going right out of high school. Then after high school I came across something I thought would be great while I waited to go to University, Doulas or Birth Companions. I was pretty excited to try this out, especially after being given the honour of attending my best friend's first birth. And I loved it, being a part of such a sacred moment, and seeing the look on the parents faces when they meet their newborn for the first time, just made me realise that this is where I belonged.

I took a course for doula training and attended a few births, but I soon became pregnant with my first and was just unable to attend births, since I was just so tired. So my certification expired and I don't think I am going to certify anyway. I believe a woman holds the wisdom of birth inside her body, even if it is subconscious it is there. If a woman chooses to birth at home alone I don't see why I can't support that. Anyway, so I didn't get certified, and feel I don't need it and have found a few great supports, other Doulas, who aren't certified for the same reasons as I. Even though I am still going to attend the odd birth here and there, I think it is really hard to be neutral. I can't say anything to the doctors at the hospital and was once yelled at by a doctor when I mentioned that I was a doula. I just know there is a better way, a healthier way and I feel trapped in a place where I am helping the birthing family but if anything is said I just have to hope I have given my clients enough information to make an informed decision.

I have come to the conclusion that being a Midwife is the best option for me. It is going to be the best way to help change they way we view and treat birth now. I will be able to give great information to my birthing families, and keep them as safe as I can from the mostly unnecessary procedures and interventions that are routinely being pushed upon women and their unborn babies. So wish me luck as I venture on this journey to protecting women, babies and the natural way of birthing.

Much Love,
Marissa

No comments:

Post a Comment